This page does not have a description.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Kale ready for easy Green smoothies
Source: Aleece B. Landis (but I'm sure I heard it from some one else somewhere. (Entered by Aleece Landis)
This isn’t really a recipe but more a quick tip for how to easily/quickly utilize Kale and other greens.
I do this for Kale and swiss chard and beet greens but you could really do it with any greens including collards, spinach, swiss chard, broccoli leaves, turnip greens, and anything else you might like in a smoothie.
Serves: As many or as little as you like
Step by Step Instructions
- Buy large quantity of Kale or other greens (more than you would normally use in a recipe.)
- Wash Kale or greens well
- Dry greens on towels, by whirling about the place in a clean pillow case, or in a large salad spinner
- Cut out Large stems and chop them up (this makes it far easier to scoop out portions into smoothie cups later.)
- Place everything in large bags and seal them up
- Once frozen, mash them up to break up the greens to make it easier to scoop out quantities to put into your smoothies
- Keep in freezer with your other frozen smoothie ingredients (like frozen busted up banana pieces and frozen blueberries) to make it easy to grab them all at once to put in your smoothies
- Here is an example smootie recipe I drink regularly. The following is kept in the freezer 1/2 cup frozen Kale bits 1/2 cup frozen spinach bits 1/4 frozen banana 1/2 cup frozen blueberries heaping teaspoon Hemp hearts heaping teaspoon flax meal teaspoon chia seeds tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds This ingredient is kept in the refrigerator Original Unsweetened Almond Milk (but you could you whatever you like, regular milk or juice) just enough to fill in the space in the single serve blender cup to be able to blend the other ingredients. Finally, not frozen or refrigerated, single scoop of vanilla protein powder. (or whatever kind you like) In the past I have also added frozen beet or carrot (small bits) and frozen cranberries, etc really so many things work so try it out and see if you like it. Blend it all up till smooth. Drink, well once it is warm enough to flow, sometimes I don't get enough liquid in it and it takes a little while to be able to drink it. These smoothies have ALL the fiber and goodness of all the ingredients, much better for you than juicing your Kale and tastes so much better too.
Comments added by fellow market members.